Monday 26 September 2016

Aurora Christmas Ornaments Shaker - CTC004


Welcome again to KOCreationscards


I am participating in this weeks CASE challenge, hosted by Jessie Holton #CTC004

This week we are CASEing this card of Andrea's


I wanted something a bit different and after a friend recently made a gorgeous Aurora card (click here to see Juana's card) I thought I might try a version of my own.

After thinking a bit about how I could do an Aurora effect and make it different + make it mine. I remembered my Delicate Ornament thinlit dies ...(they match the Embellished Ornaments stamp set). Ideas started racing!

So with out further ado

Aurora Christmas Shaker Ornaments

#KOCreationscards #Delicateornamentthinlits #Handmade #Christmastime #Stampinup #Minipinecones #Thoughtfulbranches

How I made Aurora Christmas Shaker Card:

  • You will need thick Whisper White card base cut to 10.5 x 15 cm. Then trim your Night of Navy and Pool Party according to how much edge you would like showing.
  • I then chose my colours that I wanted in my Aurora.../Watermelon Wonder, Bermuda Bay, Sweet Sugarplum and Crushed Curry. I used Night of Navy for the Night sky.

Aurora technique:

  1. On a piece of Whisper White card stock I traced around the outside of my ornaments, just so I had a rough idea of where to add the colour.
  2. I started with the Crushed Curry and moving in one direction across the page from left to right and upwards I slowly built my colours until I was happy.
  3. I tore a small piece of paper and placed that across the bottom third of the ornament area and started with the night of navy. I applied this until I couldn't see any white what-so-ever!
  4. I then started blending the Night Of Navy in a down wards motion (opposite to the bright colours) gently adding some darkness into the colours.
  5. I also did this but in an upwards motion once or twice from the horizon, then around all other edges always starting from the outside moving in.
  6. When I was happy, I touched up a couple of areas to brighten the colours. I then die cut them out using my Big Shot.
  7. When the ink was dry, I stamped some skeletal trees from the Thoughtful Branches stamp set. I used a small mask to achieve the staggered effect.
  8. I then applied some versamark in with the tips of a stiff paint brush and then tipped White embossing powder onto the areas I wanted there to be snow. Using the paint brush you can also remove powder from areas where it is a bit too thick
  9. I fussy cut the indent from the blended Aurora die cuts and used this for the ornament edging. Do you know what I mean??? The dent that the dies leaves on your paper, around the outside edges.
  10. I cut some Confetti stars using the Diamond Glimmer paper and glued a few where I desired them onto the sky area.

The Front of the card:

  • For the card fronts I used Pool Party, cut to size I then used the Softly falling embossing folder.
  • I rubbed my embossing buddy over the embossed card and then gently applied the Versamark ink straight from the pad.
  • I added the White emboss powder, sharply tapping the back of the card with my finger nail to remove excess powder. Then heated with my heat tool until done.
  • I die cut the ornaments shapes, where I wanted them to be on the Pool Party card fronts.
  • I also cut a small piece of Window sheet just big enough to cover the hole and glued into place under the card front.
  • Once everything was dry, I lined everything up and glued the ink blended Aurora image straight onto the Night of Navy card stock.
  • I then used the foam adhesive strips to edge the ornaments on the Night of Navy. Then adding more strips in the other spaces, to the back of the Pool Party card front. This makes the card sit flat and even. 
  • Dust edges with the embossing buddy and brush excess out.
  • Insert either stars or glitter....which ever you desire :) I used both. Stars for one and Glitter for the other.

Inside View 1


#KOCreationscards #Delicateornamentthinlits #Handmade #Christmastime #Stampinup #Minipinecones #Thoughtfulbranches

How I made the inside:

  • Using a reasonably large piece of scrap card stock cut two masks using the Delicate ornaments thinlit dies.
  • Place this in the area you want to have your ornament. Then proceed as for the front ornaments using steps 1-7.


Inside View 2


 #KOCreationscards #Delicateornamentthinlits #Handmade #Christmastime #Stampinup #Minipinecones #Thoughtfulbranches

A quick video showing the shakers movements



If you would like to purchase any of the items I used to make my cards. Please use the carousal below.








Thank you so very much for taking a look at my blog today :) I hope my instructions were helpful.
If you have any questions please comment below, I always reply!

10 comments:

  1. I love your shaker card Kim with the bauble, very unique. Just love it. Your workmanship is so beautiful. Angexo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Angela :) you are very kind

      Delete
  2. Wow! Amazing card Kim - every detail is stunning. Love your Aurora scene you created inside the ornaments complete with glittery snow. A very impressive shaker card and love those pine cones. Thanks for the special mention. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome Juana....I am so happy you like what I have done :) made my day x & You are most welcome for the mention! The idea came to me looking at your Aurora sleigh & reindeer card.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow what a gorgeous card! And near by me with the cute minipinecones ;-) . Great Greetings from Germany XoXo Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea, I used the thread element with the mini pinecones + the little banner also for this CASE. Have a wonderful day Andrea. I look forward to creating with you again soon x

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous set of cards! Love the sponging & the glitter shakers & the snow falling EF is so cute all white on blue! Very pretty! Thank you for playing along with Case This Card again! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessie, Very HAppy you enjoy my efforts x It's never a trouble hopping with you & always my pleasure. Thoroughly enjoy every moment xx

      Delete
  5. Really wish you had a video. Trying to make this now. Lol. Very nice card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in the middle of trying to make on Diana...So sorry love..It will happen xx

      Delete

Thank you for taking a moment to leave your comment. You have made my day :-)